The Fourth of July is a celebrated day here in the United States. It symbolizes our independence and freedom and is always a day full of traditions that includes a stunning fireworks display. We know that July 4th may look very different this year, especially considering the current pandemic that is still prevalent. This just means that if we are going to celebrate, we have to do so safely and smartly.
Even though many big events will be canceled, there is still an opportunity to celebrate at home or with close family and friends. You can still fire up the grill, make your favorite food, play games, and enjoy some small fireworks at home. If you are planning on making a day of the 4th this year, we encourage you to follow the safety tips below:
- If you'll be celebrating with family and friends or in a public place, be sure to wear your mask at all times. Also, practice social distancing. Doing your part to stop the spread of COVID-19 can make a huge difference.
- Did you know that the 4th of July is the most dangerous day to drive in the U.S.? It is. This is mainly due to the large increase in alcohol consumption and increase in cars on the road. If you're driving, stay aware of your surroundings and drive safely.
- As mentioned above, alcohol consumption is the leading cause of accidents on July 4th, many of them fatal. Please don't drink and drive. If you are partaking in consuming alcohol, have a ride planned. Ride-share apps, taxis, or designated drivers are a great idea.
- Planning on traveling out of town for the weekend? Make sure your vehicle can handle the trek! Here at Nerger's Auto Express, we can provide a vehicle inspection before your long trip to verify that your vehicle can handle the drive. If not, we help you take care of your vehicle's needs before you hit the road.
- Lighting fireworks? Do so safely, and legally of course. Don't light any fireworks near anything flammable and stay clear of others. Watch small children, especially.
- Since the 4th is typically a very hot day, don't forget your summer safety. Hydrating with water throughout the day can keep you safe and healthy. Also, dress appropriately for the weather with hats and sunglasses. Don't forget sunscreen, too!
- If you're planning on grilling, remember grilling and fire safety. Don't let small children around hot grills and take caution when lighting any fires.
We hope that these safety tips will allow you to have an amazing July 4th holiday. We wish you the best, and happy Independence Day!