- Make sure you can see! When was the last time you replaced your windshield wipers? If it was more than a year ago, it's time for a new pair! The next important step is to check your windshield washer and make sure it is filled with the correct liquid. The last thing you need in the middle of a storm is to discover you are out!
- Get the Correct kind of Oil Change. Make sure you come in for your regular oil change and we will make sure you have the correct oil. Oil tends to thicken as it gets colder and if it is too thick it will not do the best job of keeping your engine lubricated.
- Get Your Antifreeze Right. The best mix is usually 50/50 antifreeze and water. This will ensure that nothing will freeze in your engine, even under the most extreme temperatures. Also look at when you last had your radiator flushed and cleaned – it might be time for it again.
- Check Everything! Check your battery, your belts, your tire pressure and any small things like brake lights and turning signals. Make sure everything is in working order, so that your car is less likely to have a breakdown in the middle of a snow storm.
- Pack Your Emergency Kit. Always have an emergency kit in your car. Make sure you have items such as a shovel, snow chains, and a bag of sand if you are traveling in any remote areas and you might have to deal with getting stuck in snow. Other items such as a small tool kit and jumper cables can also come in handy. On the personal side, make sure you have a first aid kit, and some non-perishable snacks and water.
While these are all good pieces of advice, if you do not have the time to check out all the things on your vehicle, then come it to Nerger's Auto Care and we can do a FREE "Wellness Check" of your car and let you know what should be done before snow flies!